Cross-desktop helpers

Tommi Komulainen tommi.komulainen at iki.fi
Thu Dec 9 23:59:16 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 13:00 -0800, Alex Graveley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really want a way to make my users happy.  XDG's charter is to provide
> the mechanism for this.  Yet I still have no desktop-neutral way of
> accomplishing the following:
>
> 	* opening a file browser for a given local directory

I think it would be beneficial to also be able to preselect a given file
so that one doesn't have to scroll around manually.  Something like
file:///tmp/#some-file would open '/tmp', select 'some-file' and make
sure the file browser window is scrolled so that the file is visible.

> 	* opening a web browser

$BROWSER is supposed to do something like this, I think.  GNOME could
set it to 'gnome-open' by default, for example.  But I don't know why it
doesn't seem to be used much.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 tommi.komulainen at iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6