Cross-desktop helpers

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 10 11:18:00 EET 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:59:16PM +0200, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 13:00 -0800, Alex Graveley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I really want a way to make my users happy.  XDG's charter is to provide
> > the mechanism for this.  Yet I still have no desktop-neutral way of
> > accomplishing the following:
> >
> > 	* opening a file browser for a given local directory
>
> I think it would be beneficial to also be able to preselect a given file
> so that one doesn't have to scroll around manually.  Something like
> file:///tmp/#some-file would open '/tmp', select 'some-file' and make
> sure the file browser window is scrolled so that the file is visible.

ROX uses 'rox -s /tmp/some-file' for this, which scrolls to the file and
makes it blink a couple of times. Having a cross-filer way to do this
would be useful. Then we could have a $FILER environment variable.

> > 	* opening a web browser
>
> $BROWSER is supposed to do something like this, I think.  GNOME could
> set it to 'gnome-open' by default, for example.  But I don't know why it
> doesn't seem to be used much.

Yep, this is the plan for ROX too, but I haven't got round to it yet...

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net