Cross-desktop helpers

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sat Dec 11 16:12:40 EET 2004

On Sat Dec 11 01:43:25 2004, Alex Graveley wrote:

> This sounds sane to me.

As a first step.

I'd like to add another requirement.

Here's my situation:

I sit in front of a 64-bit workstation, which, at least when I last
checked, can't run OpenOffice.org, which I need to deal with people
who send me certain Word documents.

No problem, since I also have an x86 box, sans monitors, which I can
SSH across to, and run OpenOffice.org there. No problem so far - it's
one of the joys of X.

Now, Word Docs sometimes have hyperlinks in them. If I click on one
of those, then OpenOffice.org opens it for me, using not only
entirely the wrong browser (not it's fault, that's a shared config
system issue) but on the wrong machine - I *have* a browser open, and
*that* browser is the one I like thing to open in. (I'm a tabbed
browsing addict - I never close tags).

So a simple callable executable, while a good start, doesn't solve
*all* my problems - some form of network-awareness would be useful
too - ideally, I suppose, one of:

- D-Bus message exchanging to request an action on a URI. (The URI
could be optional, making "applications" an action rather than a URI,
to appease purists, like me.)
- X messaging to acheive the same. Presumably a special top-level
window which receives URL drag-drops to handle them? (Then you get
free legacy support, too.)
- Something else.

Personally, I think a custom drag-drop based solution might be
nicest, but this is way outside my area of expertise, assuming I have
one at all. I just thought I'd raise the issue.

It may be I've just not set things up correctly, and all this should
just work anyway. :-)