About mimetypes and action definitions

Ilmari Heikkinen kig at misfiring.net
Wed Dec 22 17:08:22 EET 2004

Hello everyone,

A couple of questions:

1) Shared-mime-info is great. Is there interest in expanding the
descriptions with capability descriptions?

Capability descriptions being type metadata that says what the type can
do; e.g. ogg is sound, sound is temporal, ogg is lossy, ogg supports
the following bitrates...
All this in some standard programmatically parseable format.

This since I'm (re)writing a converter tool that plugs existing tools
together and need to write capability descriptions[1] for the reasoning
algo. So I thought "Hey, these might be of use to other people aswell,
can't hurt to ask, right?"

The descriptions could also be used for e.g. finding types that fit
into some criteria ("video types that are recommended for web") and for
creating type documentation.

2) Related to the above, I've been following the mime actions
discussions with some interest, since "How do I open a file that has
type foo?" is a subset of the more general "How do I represent foo as
bar?"

The answers can be represented relation triplets that represent
type-program-type relations (what types a program can read and what it
can turn them into): "audio/x-wav --lame-> audio/x-mp3", or  "image/png
--gqview-> view", or "image/png --gimp-> edit". Again, this is what I
need to do (and have done[2]) for the converter to describe what a
program can do, so maybe these can be shared aswell.

3) And finally, command descriptions. Machine-readable man pages, if
you will. Can be used to auto-build interfaces, generate documentation,
or (what I'm doing) plug programs together into parametrized pipelines
("text into 128kbps mp3") by abstracting the interface into a keyword
parser ("high quality" means -q 0 for lame, -q 10 for oggenc, and
-quality=100 for pnmtojpeg.)[3]

The command descriptions (can) also include the package name that
installs the command (these should probably be lists of
package:distro=pkgname unless all distros standardize to same package
names or move to 0install ;-)). Am using those to automatically install
the package if needed.

Is there interest in a command description spec such as this?

I need to write all three things above anyhow, but if these sound
useful to other people, let me know. Some easy to see possibilities:
context menus with "convert to"- and "view/open/edit in"-items, expert
system for learning about fileformats, synonym-searchable command help.