XDG Base Directory Spec

Lee Willis lee at leewillis.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 21:35:16 EET 2004

There was some discussion recently on the Muine[1] development list
about standard locations for files for a user, much like windows has "My
Documents/My Music", and "My Document/My Pictures". The closest I can
find to anything representing this would be the Basedir spec -
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/0.6/.

This doesn't however go as far as I think would be useful in the case we
were originally considering, specifically the creation of standard
directories for:

- Music storage
- Playlist storage

These could then be used as the default import location for music
players, the default save path by music rippers, and per mime-type
default save locations when downloading content in browsers etc.

The thread which originally sparked this off was on the muine list at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/muine-list/2004-February/msg00046.html.

I'd be interested in any feedback that anyone of this list has,
particularly about whether this is a good idea, and how the
implementation might work.

Lee

[1] A GNOME music player written in C# -
http://people.nl.linux.org/~jorn/Muine/