XDG standard: Is Math a Science

George jirka at 5z.com
Tue Feb 10 19:03:10 EET 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:51:33PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> This argument started on the kde-devel list, and I think that it is a valid
> point.
>
> Strictly speaking, Mathematics is not a Science.
>
> However version 0.8 of the spec lists the Category: "Math" with a 'Related
> Category' of: Science.
>
> I don't think that this is correct.  The Category: "Math", IMO, should not
> be listed with any 'Related Categories'.

Since you obviously need an authority on this then I offer a quote:

"Mathematics is the queen of sciences and arithmetic is the queen of
 mathematics."
 -- Karl Friedrich Gauss

And you will NOT find a mathematician to argue with Gauss.  So mathematics
IS a science.  And since I do have a math degree, I'm not allowed to disagree
with Gauss either (it would be blasphemy).

If you don't believe Gauss, try looking up science in a dictionary.  One
of the definitions from webster is:
  "Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been
   systematized and formulated with reference to the
   discovery of general truths or the operation of general
   laws; knowledge classified and made available in work,
   life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or
   philosophical knowledge."

And this describes EXACTLY what mathematics is.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.