XDG standard: Is Math a Science

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Feb 10 21:48:20 EET 2004

George wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:51:33PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>This argument started on the kde-devel list, and I think that it is a valid
>>point.
>>
>>Strictly speaking, Mathematics is not a Science.
>>
>>However version 0.8 of the spec lists the Category: "Math" with a 'Related
>>Category' of: Science.
>>
>>I don't think that this is correct.  The Category: "Math", IMO, should not
>>be listed with any 'Related Categories'.
>

> Since you obviously need an authority on this then I offer a quote:
>
> "Mathematics is the queen of sciences and arithmetic is the queen of
>  mathematics."
>  -- Karl Friedrich Gauss
>
> And you will NOT find a mathematician to argue with Gauss.  So mathematics
> IS a science.  And since I do have a math degree, I'm not allowed to disagree
> with Gauss either (it would be blasphemy).
>
> If you don't believe Gauss, try looking up science in a dictionary.  One
> of the definitions from webster is:
>   "Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been
>    systematized and formulated with reference to the
>    discovery of general truths or the operation of general
>    laws; knowledge classified and made available in work,
>    life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or
>    philosophical knowledge."
>
> And this describes EXACTLY what mathematics is.

You appear to make a logical error that appears all too common among
developers.  You assume that this is an issue that only concerns me and
that you only need to flame me about it and it will be resolved.

I assure you that this is most certainly not the case.  I only brought the
issue here (I'm not even the one that raised it on KDE lists} -- an issue
that I assure you is real and wide ranging.

I suggest that you Google:

	Mathematics Science

and after you read the 4 MILLION plus items that you get back to us with
the results.

What you will see is that, in English at least, the reference is usually to
   Mathematics and Science.  Clearly inferring that they are on the same
logical level -- that one is not a subset of the other.

--
JRT