Nazi remarks.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 12 20:23:21 EET 2004

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 00:52, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>clearly are using Science & Mathematics as separate and distinct entities.
>>
>>I will start a new thread.
>

> We need a get-a-life at freedesktop.org?
>
> Seriously, get back to hacking, it is way more useful. Please.

I started a new thread to try to regain focus on the actual issue -- to
separate the issue from Georg's postings.

His postings could be used as example of fallacious reasoning.

[See: http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm]

but what he said is basically irrelevant to the question.

Unfortunately, once some self appointed "list Nazi" starts with something
of the tone: 'you don't know what you are talking about so go away', the
focus never seems to return to the original issue.

Hacking: this started out as hacking.  I was hacking the XDG based menu in
KDE-3.2.  I found that it had problems.  Specifically, I tagged a vfolder
'desktop' file with the category: "Science" and it wound up in: "Lost &
Found".  Don't you just hate it when that happens?  I posted to the
'kde-devel' list and the issue of whether Math should properly be
considered to be a subset of Science came up.  So, I brought the issue
here.  This is where to discuss the XDG standard isn't it?

It might be that part of the problem is that I didn't write a "hello"
message first.  So, I might mention that I am a retired engineer (EE & CS).
  I am not a know-nothing newbie and yes I do resent being treated like one.

In a private e-mail, George implied that I knew nothing of Mathematics.
Yes, he sent me several private e-mails that were even more insulting.  I
listed the following:

Algebra, Calculus, Finite Math, Differential Equations, Partial
Differential Equations, Fourier Transforms, La Place Transforms,
Z-Transforms, and Digital Signal Processing.

Maybe I missed one or two others.

But, all of this is OT, which is why I started a new thread.  But, that
also became OT.  And, yes, I do think that discussing the standard is
useful.  Perhaps even more useful than hacking.

--
JRT