Patch : XDG menu-spec 0.8 support for desktop-file-utils

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Jan 9 19:21:05 EET 2004

Hi all,

I've worked on fixing desktop-file-utils and its gnome-vfs module to get
it compliant with XDG menu spec 0.8.

So far, desktop-file-utils passes the menu-spec test suite (I think some
tests will need to be added because I'm sure some special cases are not
handled by desktop-file-utils..) and gnome-vfs module allows gnome-panel
and nautilus to access XDG menus.

However, gnome-vfs module doesn't support the optional part of the spec
(Layout/DefaultLayout) and after some discussions with Mark McLoughlin
(gnome-panel maintainer), I'm not sure how to integrate this support in
the clean way, between VFS module, gnome-panel and nautilus (for editing
menu).

Morever, since my patches is fairly large and I'm not 100% confident
with my patch, I won't push this code for XDG menu support in GNOME for
MandrakeLinux 10.0 (which should have been used as testbed, since we
will also have KDE with XDG menu support).

So, I was hoping to get a review of this patch, to get in committed in
desktop-file-utils (Havoc, I don't know if you granted me write access
on CVS ?) so it is not lost and start serious discussion to get it right
and working as soon as GNOME 2.7 will open.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandrakesoft.com>
Mandrakesoft