Proposal for a MIME mapping spec

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Jul 8 14:17:13 EEST 2004

Am Donnerstag, 8. Juli 2004 01:43 schrieb Keith Packard:

> Instead, I suggest that applications which read the database first check
> timestamps to
> see if the cached version is out of date and regenerate the cache at that
> point themselves.  A few stats at program startup time to avoid some bug
> reports and mildly confused users seems like a good trade to me.

IMHO these "view" extra stats really hurt. Think about high latency accesses
to the filesystem (e.g. nfs) and about the fact that today the startup times
are still rather bad on the linux platform.

On the other hand your concern is real and a daemon taking care about an
uptodate cache is much more efficient. In addition if done correctly the
applications can simply mmap the db read-only into their memory space.

Last but not least the daemon shall provide a run-once option for systems with
very low system resources.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de