desktop-entry-spec.xml patch

Albert Chin xdg at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Thu Jul 15 15:52:23 EEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:37:25AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 06:19, Albert Chin wrote:
> > >
> > > Wouldn't then update-mime-database be installed locally on the Solaris NFS
> > > server and thus a solaris binary?
> >
> > How does the HP-UX RPM know the location of the update-mime-database
> > binary on the Solaris host? RPM supports --relocate which is used to
> > perform the above installation so we have no idea where the Solaris
> > update-mime-database binary is.
>
> Eh, update-mime-database is hopefully in the path. How is this different
> from any other application launched in the rpm %post script?

For people installing programs to a _separate_ directory, there is no
guarantee that update-mime-database is in $PATH nor would it be the
correct version (say you want update-mime-database-1.0 or
update-mime-database-1.1, etc.).

The way we install software is different from the standard /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin, /usr/share/man, /usr/lib convention. We install programs to
separate directories so customers can upgrade to the newer release
when they want and possibly run multiple releases.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)