desktop-entry-spec.xml patch

Dave Cridland [Clues] dave.cridland at clues.ltd.uk
Thu Jul 15 16:26:43 EEST 2004

On Thu Jul 15 13:52:23 2004, Albert Chin wrote:
> For people installing programs to a _separate_ directory, there is
> no
> guarantee that update-mime-database is in $PATH nor would it be the
> correct version (say you want update-mime-database-1.0 or
> update-mime-database-1.1, etc.).
>
> The way we install software is different from the standard /usr/bin,
> /usr/sbin, /usr/share/man, /usr/lib convention. We install programs
> separate directories so customers can upgrade to the newer release
> when they want and possibly run multiple releases.

My gut feeling here is to ask why you're not customizing the RPMs you
deploy, then. It seems to me that your installations are very
different from those the packages you're deploying are designed to
cope with.

Moreover, the problems you're describing would seem, to me, to apply
to many packages - but it's a package problem, not a technology
problem.

Dave.