RPMs and *.desktop files

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Mar 2 01:38:39 EET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 23:15, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm creating RPM packages and I want to include *.desktop files with
> them that are automaticly installed in the correct directory.
> Because the directory can differ from one distro to another,
^^^ It might not be a good idea to make rpm packages that try to work on
multiple distros.  YMMV.

> I already
> figured I needed to do the creation of the files in the postinstall
> section of the RPM.
> When detecting where to put the files, the default XDG_DATA_DIRS lists
> /usr/local/share as more important than /usr/share though. I'm putting
> the files of my program in /usr and not /usr/local, so /usr would also
> seem more appropriate for the *.desktop files.

Unless you have very good reason not to, you should use /usr.  In
general, /usr is for your package management system, and /usr/local is
from stuff you install from source yourself.  I don't think I've ever
seen a good reason for why an RPM would install stuff in /usr/local.

Thomas

Faded I'm sure
but love seems to stick in the veins you know