RPMs and *.desktop files

Julius Schwartzenberg julius at zgod.cjb.net
Tue Mar 2 23:40:17 EET 2004

Thanks a lot to both for your messages. I suppose XDG_DATA_DIRS should
only be used by for example KDE to display the menu.
I still have a question about categories though. When I use one of the
standard categories from the XDG, the menu in SUSE 9.0 doesn't put the
application in the correct category it puts it in a menu called
Applications instead. Is this a problem with SUSE 9.0 or is it a problem
with my version of KDE? What can I do to solve this problem?

Thomas Vander Stichele schreef:

>^^^ It might not be a good idea to make rpm packages that try to work on
>multiple distros.  YMMV.

I'm a little surprised by this. I thought one of the goals of these
standards was to help making Linux distros and desktop environments more
compatible with each other.

Julius