Unobtrusive notification

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Sat Mar 13 01:56:39 EET 2004

Marco Canini wrote:

>Miguel is pointing out the lack in GNOME of a good notification
>pattern/system.
>You can read the blog entry here:
>http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/archive/2004/Mar-12.html
>
>Basically I agree with him about the pain of notification windows that
>pop up and get focus when it's not the case, however I think that this
>notification system should be shared by other desktop environments.
>IMHO fd.org should take care of handling the specification and creation
>of it.
>I think that tooltips ala windows are a good start point.
>
>What do you think?

Hi,
   I've been lurking on the freedesktop.org mailing list for the past
few months. I've got an idea relating partly to program notifications.
I've put together a proposal, it's unfinished but hopefully it puts
across the ideas that I had in mind, I'm only finally posting as I don't
want this discussion to go ahead without me getting my two penn'th worth
in :-)
URL is: http://www.johnmckerrell.com/usernotifier.html
Would love to know what people think about this subject.
John