basedir-spec issue

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri May 7 16:39:41 EEST 2004

Hi Laca,

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 10:35, Laszlo Peter wrote:

> "If $XDG_DATA_DIRS is either not set or empty, a value equal to
> /usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:$(datadir) should be used."

	(Should that not be $(datadir):/usr/local/share:/usr/share)

	In any case, I completely agree.

	If you build the entire desktop stack into a different prefix - e.g.
/gnome/head/INSTALL, and you have to set an environment variable to tell
the build where to find some files it has installed, then something is
wrong somewhere.

	I also don't know of anything else that works this way - think of icon
themes, for example, the icon theme lookup *will* always first look in
the prefix it was installed in.

Cheers,
Mark.