basedir-spec issue

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 7 18:57:19 EEST 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 02:39:41PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
[...]
> 	If you build the entire desktop stack into a different prefix - e.g.
> /gnome/head/INSTALL, and you have to set an environment variable to tell
> the build where to find some files it has installed, then something is
> wrong somewhere.
>
> 	I also don't know of anything else that works this way

PATH, MANPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH off the top of my head,
for a few environment variables you have to set when installing in /opt.
Just set XDG_DATA_DIRS at the same time.

> - think of icon themes, for example, the icon theme lookup *will* always
> first look in the prefix it was installed in.

If you relied upon that, you wouldn't be able to select such themes with
ROX-Filer, so your file manager might use a different icon for directories
to the rest of your desktop, which would be annoying (though not as
serious as using a different MIME database, of course).

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net