shared-mime-info question

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed May 12 16:51:40 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 15:28, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:04:21AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> [...]
> > Can you (or can I) add a new mimetype application/x-executable-script
> > (if possible with  sub-class-of="text/plain", but this is in fact
> > missing in many places)
>
> You probably want application/x-executable-script as a subclass of
> application/x-executable, which is what you'd use to detect whether to
> exec() a file.

Well we used both and a test for both. The reasoning is that a binary executable
is quite different from a text executable. You can edit one but no the other,
one is cpu-type-dependent but not the other, etc.

> The alternative is to make all the scripts inherit from both
> application/executable and text/plain, rather than creating a new type.
> Either way is fine by me.

Oh the mime spec supports multiple inheritance? In KDE we stopped at
single inheritance, it's somewhat simpler/faster....