Desktop Icon Theme Unification

Daniel Taylor DanTaylor at web.de
Mon May 31 16:18:17 EEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 20:03 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Sht , 2004-05-22 at 17:03 +0200, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> > First, sorry for the late reply, I've been gone for most of a week!
> > I'm afraid I have not seen that list, and having just recently
> > subscribed I can only get to that mail through the archives, which says
> > that part of the message was filtered out... Do you mind sending it to
> > me?
>
> Sure. You'll find it attached.

Thanks :)

> > The 'standard' would be the names in the 'name' attribute of <icon> or
> > <directory> tags, and all <path> elements would specify alternate
> > programs like gtk, gnome, kde, xffm, etc...
>
> OK. I'll take another look then. I want to get some agreement on
> standard names so I can start moving gnome-icon-theme to that standard.
> At that point, I want to do something like you have done here, so that
> we can install symlinks for the icons to work in at least both KDE and
> GNOME at the same time.

The current "standard" my xml database has I just made up as an example,
so don't take it too seriously. Also, my script could easily be altered
for symlink creation which could help with what you stated above.

> > > The real main issue with the current Icon Theme Spec is that it is
> > > geared entirely toward theming application icons in menus and such,
> > > rather than actually theming all of the icons that we theme. I also
> > > have some changes to the Icon Theme Spec to help with this, that I
> > > need to clean up and re-submit, as well as patches to the icon theme
> > > implementations in gtk+ and control-center for Gnome.
> >
> > I don't really follow, but it sounds interesting.
>
> The Icon Theme Spec was basically designed for theming the icons in the
> "Programs" or "Applications" menus, and not so much really for theming
> everything else. Or at least, this is what I got out of it when I read
> it through.

I think this is a basic problem between the seperation of GNOME and
GTK+, and I do agree that the icon theme spec needs to be fleshed out;
basically, I think it's way too broad, and I like your list of icons
that can be themed so far.
Do you plan on having every possible application in the list, or would
it be handled similarly to how it is now?

Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to do to help.

--
Daniel G. Taylor

Jabber ID: dan at amessage.de

* This email was sent from a box running Gentoo Linux *
* Support Free Software! *