Trash spec: wrapping up

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 1 09:31:03 EET 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 14:00 +0300, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > This field would be empty if the file trashing was "normal"? (i.e. from
> > a file manager or file selection dialog). Then that sounds fine to me.
> > Perhaps is should be called TrashContext or something instead of
> > Application though, because theoretically this type of special-casing of
> > some forms of trashing might be used among a set of apps.
>
> Namespace issues can arise here. I.e. two apps independently decide to
> use the same TrashContext values for incompatible means. Perhaps we can
> offer a "prefux" system, so that KDE and Gnome contxts start with KDE_
> and GNOME_ respectively, and any FooApp woule be encouraged to start its
> context with FooApp_ ?

Well. Most of the time the context would be the app name, but sometime
it might be e.g. the name of some app-spanning project or something. We
don't generally have problems getting things like names unique. I think
its enought to mention in the spec that you have to make the string
unique by including the application name or something similar.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a globe-trotting soccer-playing master criminal who hangs with the wrong
crowd. She's a transdimensional African-American traffic cop with her own
daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!