file:/ vs file://<host>/ vs file:///

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 4 21:18:03 EET 2004

On Thursday 04 of November 2004 20:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 04 November 2004 19:42, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > >   it's not in any spec, sorry ...
> >
> > At least approx. 50% of the linux desktop users know this (KDE supports
> > file:/ foo).
>
> If I understand this [1] correctly, KDE will either support both or switch
> to the other form.

 Nah, everybody can put up something at fd.o as long as nobody is bothered
enough to object to it loud enough. That doesn't mean everybody suddenly
considers it to be the holy bible. Want me to list examples?

 KDE does indeed support both, and will, for backwards compatibility at least
if nothing else.

> > I don't think "normal" users will understand why they have to put 3
> > slashes infront of the path. And I don't think file can ever be combined
> > with anything else than localhost, so it's redundant.
>
> I think the host part is important when doing DnD and clipboard stuff.

 Right.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer