file:/ vs file://<host>/ vs file:///

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 23:19:26 EET 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 07:42:13PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 04 November 2004 18:59, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> At least approx. 50% of the linux desktop users know this (KDE supports file:/
> foo).

  I really really hope it "corrects" the user input, that would be a big
disfavor you would do to your users otherwise.

> As Glenn said:
>
> > Common sense should prevail if the RFC's conflict.
>
> Bye

  Common sense is that the file protocol is highly underspecified, and
as soon as someone is gonna fix it it will break *some* software. The
probability that the KDE community will have enough voice to make their
semantic of that construct prevail in case of conflict is extremely thin.

Daniel