Symbol versions

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Fri Nov 5 15:15:16 EET 2004

Scott James Remnant wrote:

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 22:14 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:

> The main thing is that Debian packages use package dependencies whereas
> including the symbol version is mostly useful for RPM file dependencies,
> ie Debian packages depend on libxxx >= 2.3 rather than
> libxxx.so.2(XXX_2.3). So I'm not sure it'd be useful.

Dpkg currently translates SONAME dependencies into file dependencies at
build-time using the "shlibs" system.

There's an improved version of that system sitting on my hard-drive that
also takes into account versioned symbols.

The Solaris linker also uses fine-grained dependancies to help avoid "DLL Hell" when updating systems.  Not quite as good as the Multics mechanisms from a thousand years ago (:-)) but a good practice.

I quite agree with encouraging it in a standard.

--dave (ex-Sun ABI guy) c-b