Migration of windows between displays

Perry Lorier perry at coders.net
Fri Nov 12 03:18:35 EET 2004

Avery Pennarun wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:46:42PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
>

>>Arguably, stealing entire application is more dangerous than sniffing
>>input events.
>>

>Arguable?  It's like saying that giving someone root access on my system is
>more dangerous that giving them rw access to /dev/hda.  Theoretically, yes,
>but in the end, if I can trust them to access every byte on my hard drive, I
>had *better* be able to trust them to do everything else they might want to
>do.

I agree, preventing migration of windows seems to be closing the barn
door after the horse has already bolted.  If someone can set properties
on your window, then they can sniff/synthesize events, set other
properties and delete windows.  They can map other windows that
impersonate your window.
The games over, the horse has bolted.