~/.etc

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Mon Nov 22 14:12:15 EET 2004

Am Friday 19 November 2004 10:18 schrieb Joerg Barfurth:

> If you want to mount "your things" as a user, you would probably not
> mount them to a hidden place - so no dot-director

True, probably also for other places where I was writing dot-dirs.

> Here something like
> /home/mnt would make more sense.

Even if the user would want his things optionally in his $PATH? Thought of mnt
as a place to mount data.
Where you thinking AppDirs?

> Personally I don't think reusing all the historic unix names for
> subdivisions of home is really the best choice, as many users can't
> relate to them. So to me ~/.config and ~/.data look much better than
> ~/.etc or ~/.usr.

Yes, they may look better. Uninterested users probably won't (need to) look at
them anyway.
OTOH it's a choice of system consistency and unnecessary confusion for new
"power users" that can easily pick up and relate "static-usr-data" "var-data"
etc. accross the system.