mime-type icons, a proposal

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Mon Oct 11 21:47:27 EEST 2004

Jakub Steiner wrote:

>As for osX and application pushed mimetype themeing mentione in the
>thread - there isn't a concept of icon themes on osX as far as I know.

... or from a different point of view, in osX, there's one icon theme,
and there's style guidelines for matching that theme. Kind of orthagonal
to the issue of "applicaiton pushed mimetype theming"

>I don't think icon themeing is something we can stop dealing with. One
>possible solution that may be bearable for theme authors would be
>emblem-like icon compositing.

A good idea, but even emblem's may have a theme-specific style to them.

The Gnome HIG, for example, talks a lot about lighting, palette, etc... Some of these things may mean that kde and gnome end up wanting different styles of embelems, and wq end up back at square one.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/icons.html

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com