new Thumbnail Managing Standard proposal

Olivier lists at olivier.pk.wau.nl
Mon Oct 11 23:26:24 EEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:53:08AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lists at olivier.pk.wau.nl (Olivier) writes:
>
> > The major change is the addition of read-only 'local' thumbnail
> > repositories. For example a CD with images can include the
> > thumbnails for these images.
>
> I've got another remark...
>
> I wonder if the concept of failed thumbnails makes any sense for the
> local thumbnail repository?  I think it doesn't and the spec should
> perhaps mention that thumbnails in <dir>/.thumblocal/failed should not
> be created and should be ignored if they exist.

very true, this is the new section about the directories in the local
thumbnail collection:

---------------------

<para>Within this directory are the same subdirectories for size
as in the global thumbnail directory.</para>
<programlisting>.thumblocal/
.thumblocal/normal/
.thumblocal/large/</programlisting>

<para>The meaning of these directories is identical to their meaning in
the global directory.
A directory for failed thumbnails makes little sense for the local
thumbnail repository, and should,
therefore, not be created. If it exists it can be ignored.</para>

<para>Discussion: There is a little bit of sense in a local directory for
failed thumbnails.
If a program is known to fail to create a certain thumbnail, that can be
stored in that
directory. But a newer version of that program might be able to create a
thumbnail
successfully, and because the local thumbnail repository is read-only it
would then
contain false data.</para>

should I send a new version to the list or publish it somewhere? (I just
found how to convert docbook into html)

regards,
	Olivier