Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 12:35:20 EEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 21:50 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Attached is a patch which standardizes 1048 icon names, compiled from the
> ~2050 icons which KDE and GNOME in all houses. While that sounds like a lot,
> and bizarre for that matter too, the important question is where this is
> heading, what we want to achieve, and why.
>
> Is an icon theme of interest? Is it important?

Its great that someone is working on this. It is really needed.
Unfortunately I'm constantly busy with a million other things, so I
don't have much time for working on icon theming. So its great that
we're getting some new blood here.

I just glanced over your proposal, and here are a few comments:

I like the fact that you've waited with standardizing mimetypes. This
requires some more thinking so that we can get generic icons for
categories of file types. It also one of the hardest things to change in
the currently deployed systems, since it affects a lot of core
behaviour.

Maybe you should separate the actual list of icon names to a separate
file and reference that from the spec. That makes it easier to read the
spec, and to update the list.

Don't add the flags to the spec. Flags are a very complicated political
area. The very existance of some flag can cause a whole country to ban
your software. Gnome has decided to never ship flags. Everyone doesn't
have to follow this, but can we please not standardize on them at least.

Anyway, good work!

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an otherworldly Catholic messiah who hides his scarred face behind a
mask. She's a pregnant insomniac mechanic who inherited a spooky stately manor
from her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!