Proposing to host system-auth-agent in fdo

Alex Perez aperez at student.santarosa.edu
Wed Oct 13 22:44:48 EEST 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Carlos Garnacho wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 11:14 -0700, Alex Perez wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Just to throw a huge wrench into your perfect little plan, FreeBSD
> > 6-CURRENT has deprecated /proc. You can simply not assume every unix has
> > a /proc.
>
> I'm sure that there will be still some interface or data structures to
> access to this kind of data, I can't imagine ps, top, lsof, etc,
> accessing to raw memory :)

Yes, of course there are other (more proper) ways to access this info than
via /proc. That's the point though. I say this as a very happy linux
user...The World Is Not A Linux Box(tm). Don't let this self-serving
machismo attitude take hold of you, because in the end there's a better
way than using /proc anyways, and if you *do* use proc, you'll do nothing
but succeed in pissing other people off.