Proposing to host system-auth-agent in fdo

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Oct 14 11:39:30 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 12:44 -0700, Alex Perez wrote:

> Yes, of course there are other (more proper) ways to access this info
> than via /proc. That's the point though. I say this as a very happy
> linux user...The World Is Not A Linux Box(tm). Don't let this self-
> serving machismo attitude take hold of you, because in the end there's
> a better way than using /proc anyways, and if you *do* use proc,
> you'll do nothing but succeed in pissing other people off.

I don't understand your point here at all. Clearly, the current code
only works on Linux at the moment. Clearly it would need porting to run
on another Unix.  However, thats true of *any* existing way to get the
executable name. There is none, zero, zilch, way to do this that would
work on Linux and BSD 6-CURRENT without porting effort. And if the code
was initially written to work on 6-CURRENT it would need porting to work
on Linux.

Does you mean we should never write code that need os-specific code for
some parts? Or that we shouldn't even mention such code until there are
ports for all OSes currently in existance (stable or not)?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an obese voodoo paramedic living undercover at Ringling Bros. Circus.
She's a cold-hearted nymphomaniac snake charmer who hides her beauty behind a
pair of thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!