Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Oct 14 00:22:21 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 20:25, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2004, at 13:07, Frans Englich wrote:
<snip>
> > However, if you want to override a particular application icon, you
> > simply
> > create an icon with the same name, or with the "pseudo mechanism" say
> > what
> > applications it should be loaded for. In other words: Yes, overriding
> > application icons requires hard coding, but individual app icons must
> > go
> > through, or require individual theming by the theme -- that's why I've
> > withdrawn "generic app icons", also see Ryan's(RealNetworks) comment
> > on it.
>
> I wonder if it would be a good idea to create a registry of application
> icons, like a centralized listing of names that you could consult when
> making themes. This seems like it would be very useful, if it doesn't
> yet exist. I probably have enough time to throw together a project like
> this, if there's interest.

I think such a list would quickly become outdated. However, we should in the
spec tell people how to name their app icons. It could be
"application-<name>" where "<name>" is the binary's name, without filetype
suffices, converted to lower case(on my TODO). This would ensure
uniqueness(well, just as good as the PATH) and be an easy way for theme
creators to figure out the name. In those cases a binary name isn't suitable,
there could be some random guideline.

Cheers,

		Frans