Icon theme specification: Standardizing icon names

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Thu Oct 21 14:52:17 EEST 2004

* Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> [Oct 21. 2004 13:30]:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 09:39 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > * Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> [Oct 21. 2004 09:17]:
> > > To avoid further arguing on why flags are good/bad, I'll re-state the
> > > reason I think flags should not be in:
> > >
> > > If the standard mandates flags, neither Gnome nor Red Hat will ship
> > > anything based on this (this is the policy of both organizations, and
> > > likely many other organizations), thus such a standard will not be used
> > > by a large group of the target audience. Lets not argue their respective
> > > decisions here, as this has already been argued to death in each
> > > organization[1]. Thus, it would be good for the deployment of this
> > > standard if it didn't contain flags.
> >
> > I think I will stick to the logic that they are inappropriate. Saying
> > that "RedHat and Gnome" won't ship these doesn't make a difference in
> > the world to me and is not a logical reason to not accept them.
>
> If this standard is not interested in working with Gnome, I'm fine with
> that. Then it can say whatever it want and contain whatever it wants (as
> long as it doesn't claim to be supported by Gnome or something like "all
> free desktops"). I'm not sure why such a standard would be interesting
> to discuss on xdg-list though.

Don't misunderstand me,. I am only saying that I would try to stick to
logical explanations. That was my only point.

> However, I thought the idea was to come up with a common standard for
> icon themes that both KDE and Gnome could use. If that is indeed the
> goal, then not breaking the policies of these organizations (such that
> they wouldn't use the standard) would be a good idea.

I guess it was the RedHat part that upset me. I cannot imagine that I
would argue with someone about the way that SUSE does things :-)

> > If RedHat and Gnome jumped off a bridge would you?
>
> This is flawed logic. I'm not telling you to not ship flags, feel free
> to ship whatever flags you want.

I actually agreed that we shouldn't use them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany