Service invitation standard

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Thu Oct 21 22:27:57 EEST 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 8:09pm, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I suppose this is just one of the potential ways of
> using such a standard. Wouldnt it be better to have
> this in generic way using dbus or possibly a layer
> over it like galago?.

True, and if the standard is a good one, it won't matter if the transport is
D-BUS, DCOP or handled through interfaces with Jabber/XMPP, MSN and the
likes.

> I am not sure whether kde has decided to adopt dbus or
> not or whether you would like to have it no dependant
> on dbus for one reason or the other

Well, for my purpose D-BUS alone doesn't seem too useful. Game invitations are
only useful to send to remote desktops of which the users are actually
"online", so instant messaging will be involved here. VNC invitations are
often sent through e-mail. I don't care if the interface itself will use
D-BUS, though. At this point KDE's instant messaging interface uses DCOP, but
if that changes it should not change my application much if the interface for
me remains similar.

What I'm looking looking for specifically is a file type standard which can be
used so communication applications can be fully integrated in common
application tasks a user will want to accomplish. In my case, playing a game
with a friend who is on-line. Or e-mailing a client a VNC link. Something
like application/x-service-invitation seems like the most elegant solution.

I think what you and Daniel are talking about is a way for a KDE application
to get IM statuses from GAIM. If that's so I'm glad that's on the map,
because I suppose what I'm looking for builds on it, allowing users to use
their communication interfaces for more than showing an on-line icon in their
mail client or a picture of their spouse in a panel applet when he/she comes
on-line.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap at capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun