Service invitation standard

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at tiscalinet.be
Thu Oct 21 23:19:04 EEST 2004

Le Jeudi 21 Octobre 2004 21:27, Rob Kaper a écrit :
> On Thursday 21 October 2004 8:09pm, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > I suppose this is just one of the potential ways of
> > using such a standard. Wouldnt it be better to have
> > this in generic way using dbus or possibly a layer
> > over it like galago?.

The idea was originaly to place this in KIMProxy,  which is a dcop interface
to comunique with IM clients. It's just a bit older than galago, and uses
Dcop insteads of DBus.

Maybe, there will be some  KIMProxy <=> galago bridges later.
KIMProxy has the advantage to don't require server.

> True, and if the standard is a good one, it won't matter if the transport
> is D-BUS, DCOP or handled through interfaces with Jabber/XMPP, MSN and the
> likes.

MSN Messenger had already a "standard" (should we call this a standard?) to
invite to uses some applications.  It's based on an application identifier.

It is described here:
http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/client/invitations.php  (that protocol is
now obsolete, but i think the new one still follow the same rules )

The problem i see is that theses applications ID looks like MS Windows
specifics things.

I don't know possibles Jabber JEP which could handle that.

I realy don't see how we could decide what "applications id" to what
application, and make this works for every protocol which supports this (at
least MSN and Jabber)

> > I am not sure whether kde has decided to adopt dbus or
> > not or whether you would like to have it no dependant
> > on dbus for one reason or the other
>
> Well, for my purpose D-BUS alone doesn't seem too useful. Game invitations
> are only useful to send to remote desktops of which the users are actually
> "online", so instant messaging will be involved here. VNC invitations are
> often sent through e-mail. I don't care if the interface itself will use
> D-BUS, though. At this point KDE's instant messaging interface uses DCOP,
> but if that changes it should not change my application much if the
> interface for me remains similar.

 Application  <==>  DBus or DCOP  <==>  IM Client

the fact it is DBus or DCop which is used doesn't matter so much.  They are
verry similar.

The problem is specialy on the   Application <---> IM Client   specifications.
What do they need to exchange to invite the other contact to use an
application  (Game / Desktop sharing / Video chat )
And how to stay protocol independent.