Service invitation standard

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Oct 21 23:49:38 EEST 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 21:27, Rob Kaper wrote:
> What I'm looking looking for specifically is a file type standard which can
> be used so communication applications can be fully integrated in common
> application tasks a user will want to accomplish. In my case, playing a
> game with a friend who is on-line. Or e-mailing a client a VNC link.
> Something like application/x-service-invitation seems like the most elegant
> solution.

I think what would be easiest is if there was a way to map certain URLs to
mimetypes, and then from there the normal file association handling could
take over. So e.g. if you could say URIs that start with "atlantik:" map to
"uri/atlantik" and when you click on such URI we start whatever application
is associated with that mimetype.

I guess the simple version of that is that for every URI-scheme that we don't
know we just try to see if we have something registered for "uri/<scheme>"
and if so throw the URI into that application.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   SUSE LINUX 9.2: Order now!   |   bastian at suse.com