Home directories.

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 12:07:07 EEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 05:54:14PM +0200, oliver wrote:
> Browsing through XFce's changesets I noticed they decided to use .config
> for user based config files. They got that idea from the xdg.
>
> I was browsing through the mailling list archive and never saw any
> mention nor discussion that lead to this descision. Now I do strongly
> agree with such dir. However I would recommend changing it now, before
> it's widespread.
> Agreed .config for such file is a good and sensible name. However I
> belive it would be better to go with the default linux naming scheme and
> thus go for .etc instead. All of linux's config files etc are in the,
> /etc.

Config files that follow the basedir spec don't go directly in /etc (which
is mainly for system configuration), but in /etc/xdg. So, it would be
~/.xdg. However, that's a really bad name for users even if it was only
used for freedesktop.org specs.

Like XFCE, ROX is beginning to store configuration here too
(using, eg, ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/... to avoid conflicts).

> Thus not only config files could be in .etc, but themes for
> instance or backgrounds (thinking at .enlightenment/themes
> .enlightenment/backgrounds or gtk's .theme dir)

But I probably don't want themes in my configuration directory (at least,
I don't regard a theme I downloaded as a configuration setting, only my
choice to use it). Themes are already covered by $XDG_DATA_DIRS (which is
for read-only shared third-party data).

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal at ecs.soton.ac.uk	        tal197 at users.sourceforge.net