KWIG Qt->Gtk porting layer and merging main loops.

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Oct 29 05:32:29 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 01:03, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > I wonder if QtGtk could be used the other way round
> > - to use glib-based
> >
> infrastructure like GNOME-VFS from KDE ;-)
> >
> > This makes more sense to me, because using
> > kde-libraries as common
> > infrastructure would require all desktop
> > applications to be GPLed
> > (linking to Qt).
>

> this is something only proprietary software developers
> should be concerned about. lets not bring about
> licensing wars in technical discussion lists
>
> Wouldnt it better to migration both qt and gtk to a
> common framework like libevent?. That is likely to
> recieve better attention than pushing for gtk stuff in
> qt or viceversa

I agree with that.

But ... We need MORE common (free)desktop infrastructure!
A VFS library for instance. Choices:

1) Write a completely new independent VFS library. Reinventing the
wheel...

2) Use KIO: That would require everyone to link to a huge graphical
toolkit library. Even when using the VFS from the command line...

3) Use Gnome-VFS or at least reuse its code. This means you have to live
with glib.

I don't know - but i have just have this feeling: Glib stuff will do the
common infrastructure - and KDE and others will wrap beautifully around
it. I'll bet that will happen... Just a matter of time... ;-)

Just being provocative. Don't take me serious. You'd better ban me from
this list!

Thanks,

Norbert