Trash specification, version 0.1

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 2 11:44:38 EEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 09:28, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 16:24 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > sorry for my silence the last 2 days, I was travelling back from aKademy
> > (KDE conference and developer meeting).
>
> No problems. There really is no hurry.

Yeah it's just that the thread grew out of proportion :)

> > Hmm :/
> > OK how about we make it
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Path=/foo/bar/doc.txt
> > DeletionDate=....
> >
> > Then we benefit from the .desktop format escaping, and we can easily add
> > other information into the file, e.g. for caching purposes.
>
> Yes. One less file-type parser in the desktop is good. One less place to
> define escaping rules etc. I'm totally for this.

Great. Let's add a Type=TrashInfo, so that other tools that
recognize the above as a desktop file don't mishandle it.

> I like the YYYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss approach. I'm not sure about the
> timezone though. mtimes on e.g. nfs filesystems are of the local time of
> the system that has the nfs server. Doing something different for the
> trash time than mtime strikes me as a bit odd.

OK, let's use a datetime without timezone then, just like the system mtime.

> I'd like to see a recommendation that the original filename is first
> used though, as this helps console users.

No objection.

Good, I think we settled the info file format and the other-partitions issues then.