Trash spec 0.3 ; Samba/CIFS shares?

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Fri Sep 10 04:01:47 EEST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:29, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> I also think encoding the uid into the directory name is a really bad
> idea. It simply doesn't belong there.
>
> I would put the username into the file name, but do all matching on the
> POSIX owner attribute.

If I understand correctly, you mean using .Trash/$username/ for case (1) and
.Trash-$username/ for case (2) and then checking that the owner's uid is correct
(as we do already anyway). No objections from me, I'm just not sure it's very useful.

> This also makes some winbind situations unusable,
> where the UID may (will) change between systems, but this is mapped out
> properly on the other end.

I googled around and I learned that you can indeed map UIDs when mounting an
NFS share. OK, but what guarantee is there that the mapped uids have the same
username on each end?
IMHO with network shares we can't get it right in all cases anyway...