Icon-mime type associations

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Sep 17 00:54:38 EEST 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 01:48, Ryan Gammon wrote:

A common use of mimetype icons is to follow up the document/context centric
model; an icon tries to resemble what it represents as close as possible in
order to make the user's association steps as short as possible. Functional
names is another example. If cases like this(3rd party branding, I guess) is
the major reason for the usage of such an mechanism, it would be a step
backwards in terms of usability, AFAICT.

Another aspect is how much influence 3rd parties should have on the system,
and hence who "decides" how the system should be. For example(from anecdotal
evidence), in MS Windows, the installing of applications is quite intrusive
since they change MIME-association priorities, icons, etc. -- "This
application should You use". I think holding back 3rd parties' influence
would gain the user(whom's concern is not only one application), promote
consistency & usability, and help avoiding the chaos of applications which
Windows have. (as Jakub discussed)

Two loose cents,

			Frans