Fwd: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at novell.com
Tue Sep 28 14:18:03 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 18:50 -0400, Franco Catrin wrote:
> Now let's say that we are implementing the notification applet for GNOME
> capable of rendering HTML.  The code will just extract some data from
> the XML and then convert it with the XSL for the current theme.  If
> there is no such XSL, then the notification applet will may use its own
> default XSL or render the thing with GTK.

Now, remember the "dont take programming advice from me" -filter and
read on :)

I think XML sounds good here. Another use for this is that it would be
easier to do a "summary" view of the notes (havent thought about how
Gnome could handle that stuff yet) - just picking up certain parts of
the content for a list of notes that were displayed during a DVD
watching session or such etc..

Also I bet XML is more fun for screen reader implementations as well?

> >  We should be able to say "this text is bold"
> > and "insert a small image here."
>
> moving the visual details to the client restrict what people can do
> outside the client.  Most programmers are not good user interface
> designers

I agree here too - the desktop theme should be in charge when defining
how the note will look - not the application that generates the
notification. Otherwise we end up N different looks for N different apps
making notifications..

//Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert at novell.com>