Icon Name Standardization, second draft

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Apr 7 01:28:04 EEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 03:58, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 13:11 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Monday 04 April 2005 13:18, Guillaume Desnoix wrote:
> > > Instead, an icon search should start with the full name and
> > > progressively remove the most right part. Consider these names:
> > >    left-align-image
> > >    left-align-text
> > >    left-align-table
> > >    left-align
> > >    left-arrow
> > >    left
> > > A minimal theme needs to provide only one icon. A bit bigger one will
> > > provide two (left,left-align) or three (left,left-align,left-arrow). A
> > > full theme will provide all the icons (but only four icons will be
> > > used).
> >
> > An alias/pseudo mechanism is the current idea to solve this. It will
> > achieve what you want, but better, because it doesn't require a certain
> > naming pattern.
>
> Frans et al,
> Even if we don't use such a fall-through-to mechanism, we could at least
> name them that way in the list to add a semblance of order to what will
> potentially be quite long. O_o

Ok. In the patch I sorted them alphabetically, meaning they became grouped by
context(such as image manipulation), but instead they should be grouped by
what makes the icons (roughly) possibly to cover with one image. That's most
often the verb, perhaps.

Anyway, I can do that, if of interest, and we have somehing stable to diff
against :)

Cheers,

		Frans