Subject: Common icontheme shared between KDE and Gnome ...

tackat at t-online.de tackat at t-online.de
Sat Apr 9 05:37:58 EEST 2005

Am Samstag, 9. April 2005 00:44 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Friday 08 April 2005 19:32, tackat at t-online.de wrote:
> The reality will be that an
> ISV just ignores these supposed corporate standards and ships icons
that
> match his own corporate style guide so that end users end up with a
desktop
> that has no visual consistency at all.

True. That's what is happening anyways. No matter at which plattform you
are looking you see that as soon as more than half a dozen icons are
added by some software the author/ISV revamps the whole iconset used by
the application according to their own branding. This is especially true
for commercial software and even more so for Linux applications (which
usually also exist as a Windows version with often the same icons being
used). Just take a look at all Adobe applications as a nice example and
you see what I am talking about.

> Of course it makes no sense to work out a common icon style by gnome
and
> kde if Redhat and Novell are going to replace it with their own icon
sets
> anyway.

true.

Am Samstag, 9. April 2005 02:01 schrieb Andrew Conkling:
> I'm not exactly sure where KDE themes end and Crystal-SVG begins, but
[...]
>  To me, such a designed constraint on
> the Crystal theme would just dampen its ability to reach many people
> (and not just KDE/Gnome/etc. users).

You didn't read my mail properly and therefore you didn't get my point
at all :-)
I am of course aware of the fact that the current icontheme spec allows
for a consistent icontheme shared between the desktop. And with the
example of CrystalSVG we already have an icontheme which covers Gnome as
well as  KDE almost completely. And I'd like to see even more such
themes which can be used and shared by both desktops to make users of
both desktops happy.
The point I was talking about is that I don't see KDE accepting a common
shared _default_ theme anytime soon.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

        Torsten Rahn

--
Dipl.-Phys. Torsten Rahn, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich, Germany
Email: Torsten.Rahn at credativ.de