DConf Database Suggestion

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Mon Apr 11 14:25:04 EEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 11:56 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> I was wondering if it might be better to use libgda as an API to the
> backend rather than using the Sqlite API directly.
>
> libgda provides backends for all the major databases including Sqlite,
> Postgres, Mysql, Firebird/Interbase, Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL server et al

I checked and saw that somebody already added info about libgda to the
Wiki. Abstraction is always a good idea, if it doesn't add significant
drawbacks or regressions.

It looks like the usage of libgda isn't restricted to relational
database management systems who talk SQL, since it can also handle XML:
"It can manage data stored in databases or XML files and it can be used
by non-GNOME applications."

I, however, never used libgda before and it looks like the API
documentation is down at this moment. So I don't know for sure. We can
use the opinion of an expert or a developer who has used libgda before
to analyse whether the usage of libgda is indeed a good idea.

ps. Thomas Leonard also added the requirements for ROX. I kindly invite
the developers of other applications and desktop environments to add
their specific requirements to the wiki in a similar fashion. I thank
Thomas for his efforts.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org