DConf Database Suggestion

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 14:40:26 EEST 2005

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 11:56 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>

>>I was wondering if it might be better to use libgda as an API to the
>>backend rather than using the Sqlite API directly.
>>
>>libgda provides backends for all the major databases including Sqlite,
>>Postgres, Mysql, Firebird/Interbase, Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL server et al
>

> I checked and saw that somebody already added info about libgda to the
> Wiki.

Yes it wasn't me but it came after my proposal so someone obviously
thinks its a good idea :)

Abstraction is always a good idea, if it doesn't add significant
> drawbacks or regressions.
>
> It looks like the usage of libgda isn't restricted to relational
> database management systems who talk SQL, since it can also handle XML:
> "It can manage data stored in databases or XML files and it can be used
> by non-GNOME applications."
>
> I, however, never used libgda before and it looks like the API
> documentation is down at this moment. So I don't know for sure. We can
> use the opinion of an expert or a developer who has used libgda before
> to analyse whether the usage of libgda is indeed a good idea.

Well I have the online html docs so I can email it to any who want it
(reply off list for a copy).

Im looking at using libgda for another project but im not an expert nor
have I experience in it but I do have in ADO and the API is similiar to
that. I would be happy to provide code for DConf to support this (it
will give me a chance to learn it too) if you are interested.

> ps. Thomas Leonard also added the requirements for ROX. I kindly invite
> the developers of other applications and desktop environments to add
> their specific requirements to the wiki in a similar fashion. I thank
> Thomas for his efforts.

KDE's Waldo's requirements are on his blog
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/961

so I guess it would be a good idea to add  that to the wiki too thereby
making sure we cover all the bases.

jamie.