DConf Database Suggestion

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Mon Apr 11 15:17:05 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 12:40 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Yes it wasn't me but it came after my proposal so someone obviously
> thinks its a good idea :)

Indeed

> Well I have the online html docs so I can email it to any who want it
> (reply off list for a copy).
>
> Im looking at using libgda for another project but im not an expert nor
> have I experience in it but I do have in ADO and the API is similiar to
> that. I would be happy to provide code for DConf to support this (it
> will give me a chance to learn it too) if you are interested.

In that case I kindly invite you to add your information to the
"Developers" section of the wiki here:

http://freax.be/wiki/index.php/Temporary_location_for_D-Conf_specs#Developers

Note that I kindly invite anybody who's interested in helping with any
possible little aspect of the project. That includes investigation,
analysis, documentation, marketing, presentations and talking about this
on meetings and implementation.

This is an open project, and nothing has been decided yet. By that I
mean for example: It's not because I started that wiki, that I want to
be a project leader or whatever (in fact, I'm a bad project leader). I
do, however, want to help with the implementation.

Somebody, on this list, told to me that I should create an analysis that
lists the requirements and that I should do an in depth investigation of
those requirements. So I started doing that. Thats the reason why the
wiki exists.

> > ps. Thomas Leonard also added the requirements for ROX. I kindly invite
> > the developers of other applications and desktop environments to add
> > their specific requirements to the wiki in a similar fashion. I thank
> > Thomas for his efforts.
>
> KDE's Waldo's requirements are on his blog
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/961
>
> so I guess it would be a good idea to add  that to the wiki too thereby
> making sure we cover all the bases.

I think it's a better idea to let Waldo add these idea's to the wiki.
Rather than me copying it. So I invite Waldo to do that, if thats what
he wants. I've read his blog and I agree with what he wrote.

However, I don't want to steal (his) ideas. I want to encourage people
to work together on this. To do mind sharing and to eventually be
involved in the different aspects of this project.

I disagree with most of what Aaron blogged (follow the link). I don't
care about people who disagree with the idea that there's a need for a
generic desktop application configuration framework. I'm convinced
there's a need. And I'll try to help implementing it. Period.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org