An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 17:03:37 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 00:19 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> Yes, ok. You have a point here Avery. However. In order to get (for
> example) my attention or to make me want to listen to requirements,
> you'll need to at least try not to be rude.

Philip, I think you're missing an important point here. The burden of
proof (and doing the work) is on whoever is doing this new config
system. Nobody else is required to care (and everyone else is free to
ignore any proposed new config system)

So basically if you say "I won't listen to you" then the developers are
pretty likely to say "OK, great, have fun" - they don't necessarily
_care_ whether you listen to them or not because they have no obligation
to use your code.

I'm all for everyone being polite, but reality is reality. The power
here is all with the core GNOME and KDE teams and if they say no, the
answer is no.

Havoc