An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 17:50:21 EEST 2005

Philip Van Hoof wrote:

>>What you need to do is a) listen to the past experience b) start writing
>>some iterations of code.
>

> So collect requirements, learn from past experience, start coding,
> propose, gather new requirements, code more (fix stuff), propose, ....?

Yes although once we have all the requirements we need to consolidate
them, deal with anything that conflicts or is not practical and then
prioritise them (some of them may be "nice to have" rather than
requirements).

Our first release should therefore be a subset of the requirements and
we will need feedback to get the core stuff right before preceding with
the more complex requirements (eg network transparancy, ACL/lockdown etc).

> I'm cool with that development model. And I'm willing to help with the
> implementation (coding-role, not leading nor decision-making).

We will need a leader (a project leader that is) to manage things so I
suggest making the most experienced developer the leader.

jamie.