An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Wed Apr 13 18:16:04 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:50 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Yes although once we have all the requirements we need to consolidate
> them, deal with anything that conflicts or is not practical and then
> prioritise them (some of them may be "nice to have" rather than
> requirements).

I agree

> Our first release should therefore be a subset of the requirements and
> we will need feedback to get the core stuff right before preceding with
> the more complex requirements (eg network transparancy, ACL/lockdown etc).

I agree with this. The first versions shouldn't have to include all the
requirements. But a first version should at least support everything
GConf and KConfig are supporting.

So the expertise of the people who did these projects is very important.

> > I'm cool with that development model. And I'm willing to help with the
> > implementation (coding-role, not leading nor decision-making).
>
> We will need a leader (a project leader that is) to manage things so I
> suggest making the most experienced developer the leader.

He (or she) will need to be trusted by all the affected communities. He
(or she) will have to carry a heavy burden with this project. So I'm not
sure there will be many candidates :-). Having a bad project leader will
condemn the project (thats my I'm not a candidate :p).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be