Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Tue Apr 19 21:58:30 EEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:53:20PM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:

> We can punt this to a distinct interface, of course - have the D-BUS
> preference interface be key/value, but provide a second interface
> that has the full data model.

That's exactly what Havoc said, except he used the word "schema" instead of
"data model."

> Initially, we just don't provide the second interface. However, the
> backends still need to handle structured data efficiently.

Why do they need to be efficient?  No need to optimize stuff until it's
obviously too slow.  UniConf is pretty fast even with tens of thousands of
keys, and Havoc mentioned that a key failing of the GConf design was too
*much* attention to efficiency.

Note that you can always tack efficiency on later if needed by optimizing
the code.

So it seems that this discussion is repeating itself, again.

Have fun,

Avery